Sunday, December 12, 2010

indian look

Featured: “Labour class women at construction sites inspire me”
I landed into the world of fashion purely by chance
“Well, my decision to enter the fashion world was more like an afterthought that happened overnight! I wasn’t serious about a career, to be honest, I dabbled with sports and music but nothing captured my attention for long. My friend was going for a fashion designing entrance exam at SNDT and I thought I should give it too, just for a lark,” says Masaba.

But it wasn’t a smooth beginning for her as until her second year she didn’t enjoy the hectic schedules at all.  It was only when her college fashion-show happened and she designed and styled her own look, everything began to change. She exclaims, “I won three awards and I realised whoa! I can do this! I have to make the most of this moment and my talent before I lose interest.”
Lady luck embraced me
“I honestly believe my life changed because of Wendell Rodricks. Had he not been my mentor in college, I would have never been at the Lakme Fashion Week (LFW) or anywhere! I enrolled just to try my luck since I was still studying but luck was on my side,” avers Masaba.

She struck gold with her first collection at Gen Next at the LFW in September, 2009. Her maiden collection, ‘Kattran’ defied conventional and she won the INIFD Most promising Designer Award for the same. “My timing was perfect. God has been by my side. The entry I made was apt as the industry was fed up of the same monotonous clothing, so a fresh take was very welcoming,” smiles Masaba.

Recently, Masaba showcased her resort wear collection at the latest LFW and also went on to participate in the Wills India Fashion Week in Delhi.
Streets- a-muse
Inspiration comes from the strangest of places, they say and Masaba’s inspiration comes from Indian embroideries, crafts, weaves and street women who show it off all with élan. She confesses, “Labour class women at construction sites inspire me with their innovation as they make the most of whatever little they have. They are so good with colours and the art of kitschy mix and match. They look stunning and in their own way, are so effortlessly stylish. This is where I get my design sensibilities from!”
Lounge wear has to be comfortable
When it comes to lounge wear, she feels it should be totally about comfort and fuss-free clothing. “The fabrics can be easygoing, lightweight and preferably in pastels or warmer colours. It should be something that can easily transform from daywear to nightwear. It should also be easy on the skin. Jumpsuits, florals, linen shorts, maxis in fruity colours and minis with tees are great choices for lounge wear,” states Masaba.
I am gradually planning my expansion
With a full fledged production unit now, Masaba is still learning the ropes of the fashion game. She reveals, “I am slowly expanding.Right now, I am still trying to get my hands on with basics like pricing,merchandise care, running a business etc. I have about ten people working for me now and am talking to stores to showcase my collection. “With a flagship store in Juhu also in the pipeline, Masaba’s e-store is up along with her website.

Masaba which means princess is an apt name for this promising designer of mixed heritage, who is sure to reign supreme in the fashion world for a long time to come.We are looking forward to her conquests! 
   

0 comments:

Post a Comment